Windows 8.1 Upgrade - Multiple "Metro" apps now fail to load
Posted on 2013-10-19
I downloaded and installed the Windows 8.1 upgrade on my laptop (which had no problems). The upgrade took awhile but produced no errors. I just started using it as normal and (web browser, email, poking around at new features). Eventually I clicked on my News360 app - the splash screen comes up for about 1 second and drops out of site. I decided to take inventory. I found the exact same results for: TuneIn, PodCasts, LinkedIn Touch, LinkedIn, Microsoft Mahjong, Microsoft Reckless Racing. All of the core Microsoft Metro apps work fine (Mail, Store, IE, Finance, Weather, News, Sports...
Symptoms are the same for all failures - 1 second of splash screen, screen drops out of site. Also, if I swipe from the left side of the screen (to bring up an "open" app) these broken apps slide over as if they are still in memory but quickly drop away. If I bring up the app list on the left side of the screen, they are all there but if I click one to bring it up, it presents itself then drops away. None of these "failing"apps show in the task manager as current processes but I can find them under the history tab of the task manager.
I've made no changes after the upgrade process so restoring to a restore point doesn't sound like an option. Also, I should point out that I've tried uninstalling and re-installing some of these failing apps and there was no change.
I find event log entries in the applications event log for these that look like this:
Activation of app C27EB4BA.Dropbox_xbfy0k16fey96!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftMahjong_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftMahjong failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
Activation of app 20313MeltingBotSoftware.PODCASTS_r8f46840rjvgc!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
I just collected data from my attempt to load Microsoft MineSweeper. Found in the TWinUI/Operational Log after attempt/fail (other modern app failures produce similar log message)
1. A tile has attempted to load an image off disk.
2. The image could not be loaded because it is too large.
3. The processing of a tile notification has failed.
4. The description for Event ID 2095 from source Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
The message id for the desired message could not be found
5. A new notification has arrived for a tile.
6. The parsing of the tile notification XML payload has failed.
7. The processing of a tile notification has failed.
8. Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftMinesweeper_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App attempted. Execution state: Attempted activation of the app, 0, The operation completed successfully..
9.Activation of the app Microsoft.MicrosoftMinesweeper_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: The remote procedure call failed.
Windows 8.1 Professional With Media Center (purchased Pro Upgrade in January - applied to original install)
Dell i15Z 3200SLV 64bit, 8gb RAM, i7
Firewall Is On
Virus Protection: Windows Defender (On)
No changes after upgrade to 8.1 (I'm certain the upgrade caused these symptoms)
Any help would be appreciated. I would really hate to have to restore my laptop to original purchase condition of 11 months ago and start over.