Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1340
  • Last Modified:

Exchange 2013 - upgrade from CU1 to CU2 - "Specified cast is not valid"

Today I ran Setup for the CU2 update to Exchange 2013 on a standalone server which previously had CU1 installed.  And - mea culpa - I didn't do as much pre-install reading as I should have done.  I double-clicked on Setup and followed the wizard, but it failed with an error "Specified Cast is Not Valid".

I found the following pages that looked relevant:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/01edef61-5b10-44aa-9096-73798143992f/microsoft-exchange-2013-cu2-update-fails-on-mailbox-rolemailbox-service-error-exchange-now?forum=exchangesvrdeploy

http://edwardvbs.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/exchange-2013-cu1-to-cu2-upgrade/


The second of these states that before running the GUI setup for CU2:

a) You need to run a Schema Update
b) You need to run an AD Update
c) Best practice to put the servers into Maintenance Mode.


I didn't do any of these, I just ran the GUI setup.


So now I have a completely non-functional production Exchange server, which is a major problem.  

Looking for advice, please, on how I can move from the current situation to a working server with the CU2 update installed.
0
wakatashi
Asked:
wakatashi
  • 2
1 Solution
 
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
You don't need to run the ad and schema updates manually unless it is a multiple domain forest. If it is single domain forest, then setup.exe would be fine.

First thing I would do is download a fresh copy of the CU2 update file and see if that resolves things.

Simon.
0
 
wakatashiAuthor Commented:
Thanks Simon - I'll give that a try, and re-run the setup.

I've been having a look through the Exchange setup log, and the last thing logged is:

"Error occurred while uninstalling Search Foundation for Exchange.System.Exception: Cannot determine the product name registry subkey, neither the 'RegistryProductName' application setting nor the 'CERES_REGISTRY_PRODUCT_NAME' environment variable was set".

I found a TechNet blog post that dealt with this:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/manjubn/archive/2013/08/27/exchange-2013-upgrade-uninstall-fails-while-uninstall-search-foundation-for-exchange.aspx

However, if I try "Get-ChildItem Env:" in Powershell, the CERES_REGISTRY_PRODUCT_NAME environment variable is set to "Search Foundation for Exchange" as per the blog post, so this doesn't seem to apply.

Cheers,
Dave
0
 
wakatashiAuthor Commented:
Running setup with a fresh copy of the download did the trick.  I don't know whether the original was corrupted or whether I could have just re-run setup with what I had, but the main thing is IT'S WORKING!

Thanks a million, Simon.
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now