Moving .NET website to another windows server
Posted on 2013-10-25
I’m not a server or .NET specialist and not quite sure how to do this correctly. I hope there is a way of doing that and hopefully I could find out step by step instructions:
A quick description what it is:
- The website/application is built in .NET with VS C# (my guess)
- I think it is running on MS Visual Studio 9.0 (there is a folder on the server)
- Database MSSQL (SQL Server 2008 R2)
- Hosted on Virtual Dedicated Server (VPS) with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
- Website has a pretty common features: signups, automated email notifications, SSL etc
The server has Plesk and Remote desktop access
The VPS Server was corrupted (I’ve been told by server provider) and the website needs to be moved to another server:
- What do I need to backup (data and settings), so I can place it on a new server?
- How to find out what everything I need to install and what versions on the new server?
- What everything else do I need install?
- I have RAW files, will they be needed?
- Is it better to keep the same IP or changing of IP won't require recompiling?
- What settings do I need to adjust on the new server manually so the website stays fully functional (as it is now)?
- Are there any settings I have to set for ability to send emails out through the application?
- Are there any other settings/installs/folder permission/etc needed?
I’m not sure how complicated or easy is the process, I just would like to make sure that I don’t forget anything during the move.
Thank you for your time