Getting short on disk space , I took advantage of the SBS 2008 wizard [ 'Move windows update repository data
' ] to transfer WSUS folder to an internal E: drive.
The next morning, I noticed no Summary Network Report emailed from the server.
The SBS console showed Updates as 'not available' with the console sometimes crashing accessing Network > Update Status.
So I figure I have a WSUS problem. One I can solve by following Susan Bradley's 'REPAIRING WSUS 3 ON SBS 2008
' - blogpost.
This in turn references the 'Repair Windows Server Update Services for SBS 2008
' article on Technet
So I delete the WSUS directory and run the command
<DVD Drive>:\CMPNENTS\wsus\wsussetup.exe /q DEFAULT_WEBSITE=0 CREATE_DATABASE=1 CONTENT_LOCAL=1 CONTENT_DIR=E:\WSUS WYUKON_DATA_DIR=E:\WSUS
No success. Completes back to flashing cursor in a few moments only.
WSUSSetup.log then shows
09:33:10 Error MWUSSetup DoInstall: ParseCommandLine failed (Error 0x80041453)
09:34:11 Error MWUSSetup Product is already installed. Setup type specified is inconsistent with allowed action (Error 0x80041453)
09:34:11 Success MWUSSetup The command line parameters specified are invalid
I downloaded WSUS 3.0 SP1 and pointed the same command above at the 3.0 SP1 executable.
An uninstallation routine launches -this too fails "because an error occurred".
I understand that on SBS 2008, the complete manual removal method shown here http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/11/05/how-to-manually-remove-all-of-wsus.aspx
- is not recommended.
I need some advice next steps & diagnostics on this. I rarely have anything to do with WSUS, so most is new . Have just read 30 or 40 posts on WSUS problems on SBS, but no forward progress ..