Solved

OWA error after Exchange migration from 2007 to 2010 - A server configuration change is temporarily preventing access to your account.

Posted on 2013-10-28
11
4,444 Views
Last Modified: 2014-06-29
Hi everyone.

I migrated an SBS 2008 server to SBS 2011 but the OWA isn't working.

The login screen comes up with the correct OWA 2010 login page, but when I put in the username and password, I get this error:

A server configuration change is temporarily preventing access to your account. Please close all Web browser windows and try again in a few minutes. If the problem continues, contact your helpdesk.

Email is still flowing to mobile devices and is working fine with Outlook on all the computers in the office.

Even if I go to https://new_server.local/owa from an internal computer, I get exactly the same result.

What am I missing?  Is it a setting in IIS?
0
Comment
Question by:mikem2k
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2
  • +2
11 Comments
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:Satish Auti
ID: 39607818
Hi,

Did you try to IISreset?
0
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:Satish Auti
ID: 39607831
Have installd any hotfixes after migration. if yes,  then you need run casupdate once....

To fix this issue you have to run updatecas.ps1 in the Exchange Management Shell. You can find the script in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin .
0
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:piyushranusri
ID: 39607869
try to restart this service

Microsoft Forms Based Authentication
0
Optimize your web performance

What's in the eBook?
- Full list of reasons for poor performance
- Ultimate measures to speed things up
- Primary web monitoring types
- KPIs you should be monitoring in order to increase your ROI

 

Author Comment

by:mikem2k
ID: 39608260
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I restarted IIS via issreset, restarted Forms Based Authentication and restarted the server but that didn't help.

I didn't manually install any hotfixes, just updates.

I just tried to run updatecas.ps1 from an elevated Powershell, but that didn't help either.

Next step?
0
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:piyushranusri
ID: 39608268
what was the previous version and present version of IIS ?
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:LeeDerbyshire
ID: 39608421
Does it make any difference if you choose the 'light' GUI when you log in?
0
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:piyushranusri
ID: 39608429
1.  A common cause is if the web browser becomes confused about which server to contact to find the needed mailbox; if this is the problem it can be fixed by clearing the browser's cache of temporary files.
    See How do I clear the browser cache?
    Another cause can be if MIT's Exchange system has an old configuration for the affected user's mailboxes, people who have not logged into OWA since before the Oct 2011 upgrade are particularly susceptible to this problem.

2. please follow this EE link
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_27688266.html



please share the output
0
 

Author Comment

by:mikem2k
ID: 39609515
I tried clearing the cache many times and it didn't help.

IIS on the old server was 7.0, but I stopped IIS services after migration (I tried restarting but it made no difference.)  IIS on the new server is 7.5

We have only one site and one active SBS server; the EE link above references 2 sites and 4 servers and furthermore states they can open https://localhost/owa internally and everything works fine.  

We get the same error opening https://localhost/owa or https://new_server/owa from a local computer.  

However, opening https://old_server/owa with IIS turned back on at the old server brings up the Exchange 2007 OWA login page and the login works fine (though of course all the email there precedes the migration)
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
mikem2k earned 0 total points
ID: 39623694
I ran the Reset Virtual Directory under Client Access in EMC and that resolved the problem.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:mikem2k
ID: 39635525
This was the only step that resolved the issue.  I found the answer after performing further research on my own.
0
 

Expert Comment

by:Toshky
ID: 40166203
iisreset also did the trick for me.
0

Featured Post

Has Powershell sent you back into the Stone Age?

If managing Active Directory using Windows Powershell® is making you feel like you stepped back in time, you are not alone.  For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Scam emails are a huge burden for many businesses. Spotting one is not always easy. Follow our tips to identify if an email you receive is a scam.
This article explains how to install and use the NTBackup utility that comes with Windows Server.
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…
Suggested Courses

627 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question