Solved

Access Truncating Output in Memo Fields in Report

Posted on 2013-10-29
7
925 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-18
I am trying to output values in some memo fields in a table to a report. However, the output of the text fields in the report is being truncated to 255 characters. How can I get it to display the full output? I have tried setting the "can grow" property to "Yes", but it still doesn't work.
0
Comment
Question by:geeta_m9
7 Comments
 
LVL 120

Accepted Solution

by:
Rey Obrero (Capricorn1) earned 500 total points
ID: 39609472
if you are using a query as record source of your report, see this link for possible solution

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-63.html
0
 

Author Comment

by:geeta_m9
ID: 39609558
I don't think my issue is related to any of the problems that were outlined.  The output from the query is fine. It is only in the report where the output is being truncated.
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:Helen_Feddema
ID: 39609601
I have an Access 2010 report that displays data from a memo field (much more than 255 characters) in a textbox, without truncation, in a subreport bound directly to a table containing the Memo fields (not a query).  What type of report is this?  Can you upload the database?
0
The Eight Noble Truths of Backup and Recovery

How can IT departments tackle the challenges of a Big Data world? This white paper provides a roadmap to success and helps companies ensure that all their data is safe and secure, no matter if it resides on-premise with physical or virtual machines or in the cloud.

 

Author Comment

by:geeta_m9
ID: 39609659
It is just a regular Access report and the input is coming from a table that has a memo field. In the report, the text box where the data is displayed is bound to the memo field as the control source, but truncates the data displayed within it.
0
 
LVL 14

Expert Comment

by:Bill Ross
ID: 39611475
Hi,

On the report, make sure the can grow property of the control and the section where the control resides (detail probably) is set to true.

See if that helps.

Regards,

Bill
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:Helen_Feddema
ID: 39612505
If that doesn't work, you could try making a subreport bound directly to the table with the Memo field, linking by an appropriate field value to the main report's record source.  The truncation may be caused by passing the Memo field data through a query.  Test first by making a quick report based directly on the table.
0
 

Author Comment

by:geeta_m9
ID: 39656723
Sorry for not responding earlier but I was abroad. I found out that the cause of the problem was due to the query having an aggregate function which was one of the factors int the list referred to  by Capricorn1. When I removed the aggregate function, the entire contents of the field were displayed.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Outlook Free & Paid Tools
As tax season makes its return, so does the increase in cyber crime and tax refund phishing that comes with it
In Microsoft Access, learn different ways of passing a string value within a string argument. Also learn what a “Type Mis-match” error is about.
Polish reports in Access so they look terrific. Take yourself to another level. Equations, Back Color, Alternate Back Color. Write easy VBA Code. Tighten space to use less pages. Launch report from a menu, considering criteria only when it is filled…

789 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question