• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1644
  • Last Modified:

SharePoint 2010 Grouped List Slow for Drop-Down Filter Menus

Hello,

I have a SharePoint 2010 List that uses two layers of grouping. The list loads relatively fast, in a second or two from when requested. There are about 5,000 items in the list. I have left the default pagination in.

When a user goes to select a drop-down on the header and select "Show Filter Choices," it takes forever, 30-60 seconds, for the drop-down filters to appear above each column. This is needed, as the data being filtered is not intuitive, so any other filter web part such as a search feature would fail to be useful. We want users to be able to filter directly from the list, presented with the option of all possible values - which the "Show Filter Choices" does.

What is odd is that I've noticed that if I remove the "Group By" criteria from the list, the "Show Filter Choices" load instantaneously. There is no delay.

So, the massive delay is a combination of "Group By" + "Show Filter Choices." This is a SharePoint 2010 instance.

This looks to me to be closely related, if not identical to: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/155897ba-a55c-4a1f-9adc-2e935433fe1d/grouped-document-library-view-drop-down-filter-very-slownot-working, for which no good answer was ever found.

Any idea on how to solve this? I tried adding indices, to no avail.

Thanks,
Joseph Irvine
0
jkeagle13
Asked:
jkeagle13
  • 2
1 Solution
 
colly92002Commented:
Hello, it takes a while for the filter choices to appear in Sharepoint even in lists with a few items.  If you have updated the columns to be be indexed there is little you can do apart from check your farm/network architechture using a tool such as fiddler or wireshark (I believe the filtering using a JSON asynchronous call so you should be able to trace how long it takes and see if there is a bottleneck somewhere).  5000 is an important number is Sharepoint lists as this is the maximum batch size that a view (or CAML query) can handle, so that may be another reason it is slow.

Unfortunately you can't do anything such as add indexes to the content DB since changing the Sharepoint content database in any way (including adding indexes) invalidates any support from Microsoft.
0
 
colly92002Commented:
Anohter option would be to use a tool such as "Sharepoint Manager" to look at teh list schema and grab the CAML query from the view, then run this is a tool such as U2U CAML query directly, and see if you can tune it in any way.  For example, runing this alonside fiddler you can easily time the steps, and try adding/removing Sharepoint indexes.

Other tips are make sure your databases are all being maintained properly, especially concentrating on things such as keeping the DB statistics up to date.  These are used by the DB indexes in order to optimise DB queries and will make a huge difference if they have never been updated.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now