Shared Folders on the network - DFS? Or is there another method?
Posted on 2013-10-30
I am in quite the messy predicament in which I would like to resolve.
We have 2 locations - we can refer to them as site A and B which are joined by 100meg site to site VPN.
Site A has:
- Firewall, 2 Domain controllers and 40 users.
- User Home directory and General Data is stored on \\serverA\home \\serverA\general
- This General folder hosts 10 of 14 directories
Site B has:
- Firewall, 2 Domain controllers and 30 users.
- User Home directory and General Data is stored on \\serverB\home \\serverB\general
-This General folder hosts 4/14
Both server A and B targets make up our H:\ and P:\ regardless of what site the user happens to be in.
Problem 1 - When the users are in location B - DFS is presenting the available hard drive space on the P:\ is 30gb free (which is correct for that file server) If the user is in location A - then the hard drive space is presented at 2.0tb. (which is correct)
First question - is this a problem? I am constantly explaining to people that we have space and not to worry...cause we do. Is there a way to fix this?
Alternatively I am debating going back to old school sharing out files on one server to avoid this and grant permissions as needed like before.
Can someone please help on how I can redeploy? or if I should