Have an interesting issue. Have 3 DC(s) - (2) 2008(s – TM & Exchange) & (1) 2003 (Docserv).
The network has been replicating with no issues for prob close to 2 – 2 ½ years since those servers were put in. The 2003 holds the domain roles. Why - No reason just prob never moved them. The domain is at 2003 level.
I just did an application upgrade the end of the following week that made me change script shares in sysvol which I normally do on the Exchange server and then manually replicate to the other 2 which did with no errors (so never checked the other 2). Mult times last week I had users get the old script value which I ignored at the beginning since Microsoft does like to remember old shares but I took a longer look last Friday and found the that TM server was still retaining the old sysvol info. I immediately did a manual replication on that server from Exchange with no errors but the sysvol didn’t update. I looked at Event Viewer and found was in Journal Wrap ONLY on that server since approx 5 days prior to when I changed the scripts.
I created the “Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore” which took about 30 minutes prior to having the subsequent error show in EV stating that the replica set was being deleted in an attempt to recover from an error state. Since then (approx 2 hours since starting) NO other value have shown in EV and doing a Net Share does not list sysvol share. I did a repadmin /showreps with NO errors shown. For safety sake I also changed the Tombstone from Not Set to 180 days WHICH DID replicate to TM. I can do a manual replication from TM to the other servers and also start a replication of the other servers to TM from the other 2 DCs without any errors showing that I can see but still no sysvol.
I am hesitant to do a non-authoritative restore using BurFlags and since mult people were out from the office last 2 weeks their backups took a huge hit.