OS X Mavericks SSD drive crash
Posted on 2013-11-03
I have a MacBook Pro 2008 256GB SSD drive that was on Leopard that crashed. I was able to get data off just before failure. I am unable to reinstall OS X Mavericks on drive due to the following error:
- File System Formatter Failed.
Heres what I've done so far:
- ATM utility cd reports good computer
- Disk Utility verify/repair shows good drive.
- Disk Utility on OS X Mavericks boot USB allows erase and format of ExtFat or Fat32 but not Mac Extended Journaled. I cycled through erase/reformat several times. Unable to reformat due to error: File System Formatter failed.
- OS X Mavericks fails to install due to "Recovery system can't be created"
- Downloaded DiskTester.app (Diglloyd.com) but can't run it from Boot disk. I put it in the Utilities directory however Boot USB doesn't show in menu therefore cant run..
- Tried to run from terminal but can't figure out how to access it.
- Can't access computer from another mac.
- How can I access a failed SSD from another Mac computer so I can run DiskTester on it?
- How can I access from terminal?
I'm ready to install new SSD drive but really wanted to run this through a diagnostic utility first to make sure it truly has failed and is the problem.
thanks in advance.