Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 287
  • Last Modified:

Localization in my application displays wrong language

Hi,

My application is written in VS2005 (c++) and at this point supports English and Polish. As as when the language settings are changed, the application displays in the correct language.

The problem comes when the language is for example Dutch. Its displaying in Polish!!! Any ideas why?
0
jim_imtech
Asked:
jim_imtech
  • 5
  • 4
1 Solution
 
peprCommented:
How do you change the language settings, where it is displays, and how the language support is implemented?
0
 
jim_imtechAuthor Commented:
The language support is implemented using VS's rc files and I change the languagae settings from control panel - Region and Language. Infact if I select any other language (other than Polish and English), it is displayed in Polish as if default language is Polish.
0
 
peprCommented:
I guess the Polish is marked as a default (fallback) language. Would you like English to be used when the language is not supported?
0
Visualize your virtual and backup environments

Create well-organized and polished visualizations of your virtual and backup environments when planning VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or Veeam deployments. It helps you to gain better visibility and valuable business insights.

 
jim_imtechAuthor Commented:
Yes. I want default lang to be English. How to do that?
0
 
peprCommented:
I am doing the internationalization differently. This way I am not very experience with doing that via .rc file. Anyway, I guess you should use the

LANGUAGE LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL

for the English texts, and the

LANGUAGE LANG_POLISH | SUBLANG_DEFAULT

for the Polish. But I did not try.
0
 
jim_imtechAuthor Commented:
I am using

LANGUAGE LANG_POLISH, SUBLANG_DEFAULT

for polish

and

LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US

for English
0
 
peprCommented:
I do not know the rules for the fallback language. I only guess that it should be explicitly declared as LANG_NEUTRAL. It could be the case that the LANG_NEUTRAL was not found. This way Polish was used as it was found earlier than the English. Sorry, I do not know.
0
 
jim_imtechAuthor Commented:
I had to add a new rc file with Dutch lang (which was basically English text) to get over the problem
0
 
jim_imtechAuthor Commented:
This was the only way I could get my application working
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 5
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now