We recently upgraded our Schema and installed a Win2K8 R2 domain controller onto our network.
Currently we are at the following levels:
- Domain functional level = Windows Server 2003
- Forest functional level = Windows 2000
My questions are these;
- Are we able to move the FSMO roles at anytime?
- Should we raise any of the levels first?
- Will moving over any of the roles be impacting on the DC's while it is happening?
- Should this be completed outside of business hours?
Ultimately we will be decommissioning all of our 2003 DC's, currently we have #1, 2, 3, and 4 as 2003 DCs and #5 as a 2008 DC.
We would like to deploy some RO domain controllers versus having all writeable DC's as we currently have.
Also, the #5 DC is a physical box and all of the other DC's have been virtualized. If we are looking at deploying RO domain controllers in different geographical locations are there any recommendations on whether or not it should be physical versus virtual?
Thank-you everyone in advance for taking the time to respond back.