I have a client that has a singled Windows 2003 server running AD on it. It is a very old server and we want to replace it out with a Windows 2012 server.
I know that when going to Windows 2003 to 2008 the steps I took where:
1) Install 2008 server
2) Add DNS role on the 2008 server
3) Copy files and folders from 2003 to 2008 server
4) Transfer FSMO roles
5) Shutdown 2003 server
6) Run metadata cleanup
7) Change IP address on 2008 server to what 2003 server was.
8) Rename 2008 server to same name as 2003 server
9) Setup shares on folders for 2008 server
This seemed to work fine with no problems.
My question is when going from 2003 to 2012 (instead of 2008) are there any different procedures or steps that I must do?