Solved

Windows 8.1 Pro client locale changes on joining 2003 domain

Posted on 2013-11-07
8
774 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-14
We have a small Windows 2003 SP2 domain. I am upgrading some of the workstations to Windows 8.1
The Windows 8.1 have a UK locale/keyboard as does the Windows 2003 server.

When I join the client to the 2003 domain the keyboard locale is changing to US.
I have no known GPO control of the workstations and cannot find what is controlling this change.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
William
0
Comment
Question by:wsmyth
  • 5
  • 3
8 Comments
 
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:bbao
ID: 39632679
are you able to manually change it back? just want to determine if it is really controlled by the AD or something related to the GPO.
0
 

Author Comment

by:wsmyth
ID: 39632827
Cannot change it back.
0
 
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:bbao
ID: 39633154
ever tried removing the Windows 8.1 computer from the domain and see if the language locale can be modified again? this may help us determine if it is an AD specific issue or not.
0
Easy, flexible multimedia distribution & control

Coming soon!  Ideal for large-scale A/V applications, ATEN's VM3200 Modular Matrix Switch is an all-in-one solution that simplifies video wall integration. Easily customize display layouts to see what you want, how you want it in 4k.

 

Author Comment

by:wsmyth
ID: 39633314
If I take the 8.1 client PC off the domain the locale reverts to UK. In fact when on the domain if I login as local user I get the UK locale. Locale only changes to US when I logon as a domain account- any account including administrator accounts. The 2003 server is set to UK locale.
0
 

Author Comment

by:wsmyth
ID: 39634326
I have moved the win8 PC to a new OU unit in AD with group policy inheritance disabled. This surely rules out the group policy as the culprit????
0
 
LVL 37

Accepted Solution

by:
bbao earned 500 total points
ID: 39636403
> This surely rules out the group policy as the culprit????

not really, the default domain group policy still applies.

it seems the default locale ID in your AD schema is set to US. try checking it per the instructions below.

Step-by-Step Guide to Using Active Directory Schema and Display Specifiers
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727064.aspx
0
 

Author Comment

by:wsmyth
ID: 39648282
Due to time constraints we decided to stay with Windows 7.
I was unable to get the problem fully resolved in time to meet my deadlines.
Thanks for all of the help.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:wsmyth
ID: 39648287
This is almost certainly where the problem lies but I was unable to fully resolve in the available time frame.
Thanks for all of the help
0

Featured Post

Connect further...control easier

With the ATEN CE624, you can now enjoy a high-quality visual experience powered by HDBaseT technology and the convenience of a single Cat6 cable to transmit uncompressed video with zero latency and multi-streaming for dual-view applications where remote access is required.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Sometimes you might need to configure routing based not only on destination IP address, but also on a combination of destination IP address (or hostname) and destination port number. I will describe a method how to accomplish this with free tools. …
Resolve DNS query failed errors for Exchange
Email security requires an ever evolving service that stays up to date with counter-evolving threats. The Email Laundry perform Research and Development to ensure their email security service evolves faster than cyber criminals. We apply our Threat…

789 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question