One of our customer wants to purchase a backup software with the following capabilities:
The back-up solution must ensure:
• An easy installation and configuration by using certain process dedicated wizards;
• The intuitive graphical interface for administrating operations; this must be able to interface with CLI (command line interface) for customized jobs.
• All the back-up/restoration models (full, incremental, differential) as well as a consolidating function of the incremental back-ups.
• A modular architecture to ensure its development in time, by adding new components. These must be easily integrated so the result to be the extension of their functions.
• The solution should allow a high level of scale capacity.
• The solution should offer a high flexibility within the licensing model:
• Standard licensing on the server, clients, devices, modules, etc.;
• Volume licensing of the data to be protected.
• The solution must allow the usage of bands libraries and, for this purpose, a compatibility list should be presented.
• The solution will provide back-up solutions type disk-to-disk (VTL or other technology).
• The solution will provide advanced and configurable mechanisms of data compression.
• The proposed solution must have available an elimination function of the data redundancy (duplication). The duplication should preferable be in off-line mode (configurable outside the back-up line) and at a maximum level of its efficiency – bit/variable block.
• The solution must ensure SAN efficiency usage scenarios and for the interface with Network Attached Storage, as well as NDMP compatibility (Network Data Management Protocol). The user must have the capacity to initiate a compression process of the data transfer within the network.
• The back-up solution must ensure the encoding of certain jobs, the user can select. The encoding will be carried out according to the following standards: CAST-128, AES-256 and CAST-256.
• The solution will take into consideration the optimization and decrease of the back-up windows, through automation, planning and execution specific techniques, for the necessary tasks.
• The solution must ensure specific back-up functions for all types of information: statistics, critical data and information.
• The solution must generate reports regarding the saving/repair operations;
• The back-up solution will have specialized back-up/recovery modules Bare Metal of Linux or Windows servers. The back-up process must be executed in a transparent way for the user, without requiring shutting-off the servers (hot/live back-up).
• The solution will allow duplication for the disaster recovery type events, at the job level.
• The solution will ensure dedicated modules for protecting the virtual infrastructure (VMWare and HyperV).
For the working stations containing critical data for the company, a protection solution will be presented that will be integrated in the back-up solution. The system must allow creating versions of the protected files on the working station during the retention period. The recovery of the information on the working stations must minimize the administrators interventions and to facilitate this action to the final user.
The total data volume which needs to be protected by the proposed solution is about 7 TB.
Now, since we're not sure how many end-points will be backed-up with this software, we must have a solution which is robust enough (which can comply with all the customer needs) yet in terms of price/performance will make sense and will be modular (per-agent, per TB etc...).
Huge Thanks in advance