I need help to ensure I am setting the servers correctly.
I have 5 servers and they are all in the same forest and root domain.
There servers are setup in the following configuration:
1) server001.mydomain.com: Main Domain Controller and DNS Server / FILE SERVER
2) server002.mydomain.com: Secondary Domain Controller and DNS Server / Extra Web Server.
They are both domain controllers and they are syncing and mirroring the DNS and Active Directory.
The other servers: 3,4 and 5.
They all have specific roles. I know the exchange and share team servers need a but more than just a member server requires.
But I setting up the servers.
They have been named and setup and are at the point of being added to the domain.
Do I need to make all of them domain controllers. I know this use to be taboo because of all the unnecessary networking talking it would cause between servers.
However, Many of the updated info on Windows 2012 Servers.
I added server 003 which is going to be the web server / help desk server.
I added the DNS as a secondary so it would be syncing with the domain controllers but I do what the DNS to be self-reliant so if they domain controllers go down etc..
Especially for the exchange server which must have active directory access and DNS.
The other serves will do as follows:
3) server003.mydomain.com: Web Server IIS 8.0
4) server004.mydomain.com: Exchange Server 2013
5) server005.mydomain.com: Share Team Server 2013
Ideas, thoughts and information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.