Good Afternoon -
I have an extensive home network which amongst many things includes hosting of a few different resources which I access locally and remotely. When connected to the local WiFi, I access these resources via hostname or IP address. When remote, I access them through a public domain name which I have pointed to my home network. Below is what I'm talking about...
To Connect to Media Server / File Sync
- When Home (Connected to Local WiFi) I use 10.10.0.200:4444
- When Away from Home, I use mynetwork.net:4444 which obviously has a different, public IP when not connected at home. (Ports are forwarded in router)
The issue is that some of my services only allow you to enter a single host address so I must change it between the two above (for a few different apps) when at different locations. This also includes bookmarks for services I host on one of my home services.
What I've Come Up With To Resolve So Far:
- Edit Hosts File on Each Device
I could edit each device's host file (if possible) by adding mydomain.net 10.10.0.200 which would work fine when home, but when remote it wouldn't.
- Create a DNS Entry on Router (Current DNS Server)
I don't have them on a domain and my home DNS server is a WNDR4500 Router which I cannot find a way to edit DNS.
- Flash Router with Firmware Supporting DNS Editting
I have used DDWRT before and playing around now with OpenWRT on a different router. I don't know if it supports DNS editing, but wouldn't see why it wouldn't.
- Use a Web-Based DNS Solution
I've tried, but don't currently use OpenDNS as a couple of sites didn't work well with it. I don't know if adding entries is possible with it, though. If so, is it the best to use or is there a better, more technical one?
- Create new DNS Server (and edit DHCP to use it for all devices)
I would think this would assume this may be my only hope. If so, what's the best platform to use? My primary "server" (Win7x64) which hosts most of the services, a dedicated box, or other?
Any Suggestions? If you need any additional details or have questions, please let me know.