Hard Disk resizing

Hello Experts,
I have two drives on my disk: 85% of the Disk is C: and and the rest 15% is D:

I have Windows XP on C: and Windows 7 on D: Is there a way I can move the partition so that both C and D are allotted 50% of the total disk space? I do not wish to lose the existing data on both the drives.

If you have had good experiences with any tools/solutions, request you to suggest the same.
sukhoi35Asked:
Who is Participating?
 
pgm554Commented:
0
 
Ram BalachandranCommented:
Partition Magic is one on the best tool for resizing the disk
0
 
_Commented:
BootIT BM is good also. I just used it to shrink a 750gig drive down to 150gig, so I could clone it to a Raptor.

BootIT BM (30 day trial)
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

Download it, but when you run it, do not install, instead choose Make Disc t make a bootable disc.

BootIT NG is the older version, and isn't as "pretty" as BM, but is free and will still  handle most drives out there:

BootIT NG
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

Do the same as with BM
0
Improve Your Query Performance Tuning

In this FREE six-day email course, you'll learn from Janis Griffin, Database Performance Evangelist. She'll teach 12 steps that you can use to optimize your queries as much as possible and see measurable results in your work. Get started today!

 
nobusCommented:
more instructions on haow to use Bootit-BM
you mmust understand that your disk now looks like this : CCCCCDDDDDDD
and in order to be able to move the partitions, and resize it, you need free space, next to the C partition.
so boot from Bootit-BM cd, do not install it, hit cancel
select partition work
select D: and shrink it with the amount you want; now the drive looks like CCCCDDDDFF (wher F represents free space)
now select the D: and select slide - in order to move it to the end of the drive
then it looks like CCCCFFDDDD
now select the C: and resize it
done!
0
 
Gary CaseRetiredCommented:
Boot-It BM is indeed the tool I'd use for this (I'm been recommending this for many years).

Download the free demo [ http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm ];
extract the files;  then run MakeDisk to create a bootable CD (or flash drive).

Boot to the CD; click CANCEL at the first prompt; then OK to enter Maintenance Mode;  and then click on Partition Work.    You'll now see a screen that shows your disk's partitions.   From what you've outlined, you likely only have two partitions -- but you MAY have 3 (more on that in a minute).

Note that the outline above for how to redo the space does NOT match your situation, since you don't want to add space to C:

You indicated the bulk of your disk is C:, with only 15% assigned to D: ... so your disk "looks" like this:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDD


To do what you've asked, the specific steps you need to do IF you have 2 partitions are as follows:

(1)  Resize C: to the size you want (i.e. 50% of the size of the disk).

After you do that, the disk will look like this:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDDDDDDDD

... where the x's represent free space


(2)  Slide D: to the left, so the free space is after it.    In Boot-It BM you select Slide, and choose zero free space "before" to do that slide operation.

When that's done, the disk will look like this:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


(3)  Now simply Resize D: to the maximum available size -- resulting in:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Done :-)

If you have 3 partitions -- i.e. a small system-reserved partition "in front of" D:, then after you've resized C:,  you need to Slide that small partition (choosing zero space before it) BEFORE you slide the D: partition => then slide the D: partition (again choosing zero space before it) ... and then doing the resize of D:
0
 
noxchoGlobal Support CoordinatorCommented:
The important question is - will Windows 7 still boot after resize? You need to be sure that suggested tools are capable for updating BootMGR from Windows 7 which is your main OS loader now.
Have a look on this tool: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/
I have been using Hard Disk Manager one but it has the same functionality like this Partition Manager does. Never had problems with it. Also resizing configurations like yours.
0
 
sukhoi35Author Commented:
Hello Experts,
thanks all for your comments. I tried easeus, which was really simple and only took minutes to complete. My system boots and works fine. Thanks for the info about Bootit-BM.
0
 
_Commented:
Thank you much.   : )
0
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.