?
Solved

Accessing RemoteApps externally with .local internal domain

Posted on 2013-11-24
4
Medium Priority
?
1,084 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-30
Experts:

I've been running around in circles for a while on this one.  I've been working with a client to migrate them to RemoteApps, but their internal domain is domain.local.  The problem this is creating is none of the internal names are publishable, so external clients cannot resolve names unless I deploy hosts file entries to them.  This causes a problem because a requirement for them is to go to a random lobby computer and be able to use RemoteApps from there.

I did find a section that allows you to reconfigure the URL used to access the RDWeb page, and that works, but as soon as you try to launch an application, it again tries to access the path it was shared with, which has to be the server name of which the exe runs on, which has .local.

Anyone have any ideas?
0
Comment
Question by:piattnd
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
4 Comments
 
LVL 12

Author Comment

by:piattnd
ID: 39673433
I'm going to leave this question open for a few days, but I found a workaround for anyone that finds themselves in the same position.

If you go to "https://remote.server.com/RDWeb" in chrome, you can login and see the apps to launch.  When you click an app to launch, it downloads the RDP file.  You can edit that file in notepad and adjust the .local server name to the public DNS name that you've chosen.  As long as you have a DNS record that's been published to the world, everything should work just great.
0
 
LVL 31

Accepted Solution

by:
Gareth Gudger earned 800 total points
ID: 39673471
Are you using RD Gateway as well?
0
 
LVL 12

Assisted Solution

by:piattnd
piattnd earned 0 total points
ID: 39675848
I actually forgot to update this.  While I thought the RD Gateway was configured, it turns out that the UI highlights outstanding configuration items in green, which I thought was completed configuration items/roles.  After configuring the Gateway, I was able to get around this!  Partial points for beating me to an update on this.

Thanks!
0
 
LVL 12

Author Closing Comment

by:piattnd
ID: 39686676
I had found the same resolution as suggested prior to me seeing this post.  Awarding partial points.
0

Featured Post

On Demand Webinar: Networking for the Cloud Era

Ready to improve network connectivity? Watch this webinar to learn how SD-WANs and a one-click instant connect tool can boost provisions, deployment, and management of your cloud connection.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

At the beginning of the year, the IT world was taken hostage by the shareholders of LogMeIn. Their free product, which had been free for ten years, all of the sudden became a "pay" product. Now, I am the first person who will say that software makerā€¦
Resolve DNS query failed errors for Exchange
In this Micro Tutorial viewers will learn how to restore their server from Bare Metal Backup image created with Windows Server Backup feature. As an example Windows 2012R2 is used.
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of transferring the five major, necessary Active Directory Roles, commonly referred to as the FSMO roles from a Windows Server 2008 domain controller to a Windows Server 2012 domain controlleā€¦
Suggested Courses

764 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question