• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 653
  • Last Modified:

Server 2008 Scheduled Task - Access Macro suddenly time out

Server 2008
Access 2007

I run 5 scheduled tasks consecutively each hour on my server 2008.  Each task calls a different Access 2007 DB and runs a series of macros to summarize data.  

Everything has worked fine until about 1.5 weeks ago when one task (the main one) started timing out due to reaching a 23 minute time limit that I imposed.  When I run the task manually "Run only when user is logged on" it runs perfectly in 9 minutes every time, but when it runs on schedule (or when I run it on command) using "Run whether user is logged on or not" it times out after 23 minutes and is terminated.

I thought it was obviously a permission thing, but after trying everything I can think of, I still cannot get it to run.  I have changed the user/group to other administrators, SYSTEM but it still terminates at 23 min.  Strange thing is the other 4 tasks use the same administrator (LVAPPS\administrator) and run fine, but his one will not.

I have also checked the permission of each access db and the folders they sit in ... all are identical and have full permissions for LVAPPS\administrator.

I have deleted and recreated the task several time ... no luck ... out of ideas ...

Anyone recognize this?

Max
0
MaxwellTurner
Asked:
MaxwellTurner
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
luconstaCommented:
Because all is happening without any user interface, you have to modify that macro (at least for a short time, for debugging purposes) so you could add some "checkpoints" that would be relevant for your problem.

For example I would create a new table in the DB for logging and somewhere in the loops (be careful not to use very tight loops) put code that would add, or modify a record in that table with a date/time stamp, number of records processed, whatever you need to get the picture.

So, refining your checkpoints you will finally get to the root cause.
0
 
MaxwellTurnerAuthor Commented:
That is a great suggestion!  I feel shame for not thinking of that.

In the end, I ended up re-creating the dbase simply by importing in all of the queries/macros/forms and relinking the tables to the backend.  Should have been simple, but I lost field names in most queries (Expr1: grrrrr) during the import.  No small job as there are almost 2000 queries.  Anyway, it worked ... something went corrupt in the original dbase I guess.

I still may try your suggestion as I still have the original dbase and am very curious what the problem was.

Thanks,

Max
0
 
luconstaCommented:
Thank you for awarded points, but now I am feeling shame because I forgot to mention another thing you could try: Compact and Repair Database
0
 
MaxwellTurnerAuthor Commented:
Feel less shame ... lol ... I compact and repair everyday!

Max
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: IP Lookup

Get more info about an IP address or domain name, such as organization, abuse contacts and geolocation.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now