Upgrading Domain Controllers from 2008r2 to 2012r2
Posted on 2013-12-04
I would like to upgrade my two 2008 R2 Domain Controllers to 2012 R2, and I would like to know any special steps or considerations I should take.
• There are two DC’s, both running 2008 R2
• My Domain and Forest functional level are 2008 R2
• Both servers are GC and DNS servers
• One of them has all the FSMO roles
o It also is our sole DHCP server
o It also is our only NTP server
• I don’t do anything with Certificate Services or WSUS
• Should I go through 2012 first?
• Should I upgrade the one that doesn’t have the FSMO roles first?
• What kind of downtime should I plan for?
Thank you in advance,