REmote Desktop Licensing - Not Seeing The Server

Hi,

I am building a new Remote Desktop server for a client.  I have installed the RD Licensing Role on one of my DCs (a 2008 server) and I have activated it.  I have loaded the license.  All is reporting green and OK.

On the new RD server itself (also 2008), I run RD Session Host Configuration and click on "Licensing Diagnosis".  It shows that it finds one licensing server  but that it is not responding.  That server (again, 2008), from what I can tell, is not actually serving licenses - even to the old terminal server (a 2003 server).

The old terminal also does not seem to see any active license servers - it just reports that it sees the same non-active one that the new RDP server sees.

What am I missing?  How can I verify where/what my license servers are and how do I make the new RD server see it?

Thanks in advance!
crapshooterAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
ZabagaRConnect With a Mentor Commented:
I wish you would expand out the first column, "License Version and Type" from your .JPG
Make sure on your terminal servers configuration, you specify the terminal license server by name. See my 2 screenshots.  Instead of using the "automatic" setting, use the "specify these servers" setting.

You also have to make sure the license type matches, whether you are "per user" or "per device". That would show on your .JPG if you expanded that first field I mentioned.

Whichever it is, make sure both your terminal servers are configured to use the correct type.
For instance, if your license server has "per user" licenses, go to the configuration on your terminal servers and make sure you tell it that you are using the per user model.  Same goes for "per device" - if you use that model on the license server, you have to specify that on the terminal app servers.
config2003.JPG
config2008.JPG
0
 
crapshooterAuthor Commented:
OK, I take it back.  On the license server (the DC), I show the server and I see that it is telling me to "Generate report" under the Available header.  See attached.

Now, it is listed as a Windows Server 2008 license but my Open License Order Confirmation is

WinRmtDsktpSrvcsCAL 2012 SNGL OLP NL UsrCAL

How does this affect things?
RD-License.png
0
 
crapshooterAuthor Commented:
Correction from my first note.  The server that is being reported as a license server by both the old and new RD servers does not even exist.  It is referring to an old server that is no longer on the network.

So, how do i get it out of the AD and get the new license server in?
0
 
crapshooterAuthor Commented:
OK, I figured out why it was looking for a server that didn't exist (thanks ZabagaR - your note led me to it).  It was defined in a GPO.

I updated the GPO and it is now finding the right license server.  However, the licensing manager is still saying to "Generate Report" instead of giving me an actual count of the used licenses.  And Issued shows "-" instead of a 0 or some other number.   Is this normal?

FYI - I've included an expanded picture of the license manager as requested.
RD-License.png
0
 
ZabagaRCommented:
Yes, it's supposed to say "generate report". With per user licensing it can't calculate it.
With per 'device', it hands out license keys to workstations and tracks it....but with per user, it doesn't hand out anything...it's up to the system admin to make sure you purchased the # of licenses you're using - it won't actively track & deny connections if you go over.  If you are in a domain, you can generate the report (I think), if you're in a workgroup, you can't....In TS License manager, if you right click on your server icon in the left pane, pick the item  "create report".
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.