My windows server 2008 R2 crashed. I was unable to reboot and ran bootrec which allowed me to boot.
When logging in to the server the "preparing desktop settings" displayed for several minutes and then went into a blue screen with just the mouse pointer.
I was able to access task manager and manually run explorer.exe but then received a message that the user profile did not load correctly.
I cannot access any programs...some just don't load or attempt to load (nothing happens or I receive a message that says the program is not responding) and programs that rely on .NET give an error indicating that I must install .NET framework (which is installed).
I went into explorer and noticed that my C: drive booted and shows as the H: drive.
I have tried the following to try to resolve my issue with no success:
- tried logging in as a different user
- deleted user profile (including from the registry)
- ran bootrec.exe (/Fixmbr, /Fixboot, /ScanOS & /RebuildBcd)
- ran diskpart.exe and it shows my C: as the boot drive
- I tried running startrec.exe but it kept receiving the error unable to start startrec.exe (not other information provided)
I am at a loss. I've read that Remote Desktop may be hung due to users not logging off correctly (multiple hung sessions) but I can't find a way to kill those sessions.