Need help on planning migration project from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008, 2012
Posted on 2013-12-05
I am starting to layout planning for migration project from 2003 to 2008/2012.
The server specs are attached in this post. Basically I'm trying to migrate 2003 domain with exchange server 2003 to Windows 2008/2012 mixed domain.
Since Exchange server upgrade cost from 2003 to 2012 seems high, I'm trying to upgrade AD to 2008 domain, then it seems really complicate to do the migrations. What I like to do is, based on the diagram,
1. First install Exchange server 2003 on SM2 (windows 2008 R2)
2. Move Exchange server 2003 on EX1 to SM2 and make functional (Is it possible to install/run Exchange Server 2003 on Windows 2008 R2?)
3. Make SM2 as DC.
4. Upgrade AD from 2003 to 2008 (Does AD have to be selected as '2003 functional level'? )
5. Wipe out EX1, then install Windows 2008 R2 and Exchange 2003, then make it functional.
6. Remove Exchange 2003 from SM2
7. Make SM3 (virtual server, Windows 2012 in SM1) as DC, replicate partner of SM2
I haven't done any migration of AD and exchange. So any advice will help me.
AD is 2003 based.