Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1545
  • Last Modified:

Exchange 2013 ECP, OWA and Outlook not connecting

I have an Exchange server 2013 installed one week ago. Yesterday, suddenly, all connection got disrupted. Now I am not able to access the ECP and OWA page, and also Outlook is not connecting.

The event log does not give much information. The only error is as follows:
The Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service terminated unexpectedly.

I am thinking about a certificate issue, but am not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated.
1
dtwild
Asked:
dtwild
  • 7
  • 4
2 Solutions
 
dtwildAuthor Commented:
Further to note, when I am logged in as Administrator on the server I am able to reach the ECP site via https://localhost:444/ecp, but I am only able to see the details for the Administrator mailbox. This is accessible though..
0
 
Britt ThompsonSr. Systems EngineerCommented:
If you check the list of Exchange services are all the automatic services started up? Is the Exchange server using a valid Domain Controller for DNS and does it have connectivity to the Global Catalog server (likely any domain controller). Is there enough disk space on the server? Did the licensing expire?
0
 
dtwildAuthor Commented:
G'day, thanks for your suggestions.

- Exchange is installed on the Domain Controller;
- Their is plenty of disk space available on both the operating system partition, as well as on the partition where Exchange is running from;
- Licensing did not expire as I activated this successfully last week (however I can't see the status now, as I am unable to get to the ECP page).

When I try to remote into it via the ECP web page, I see a page that shows that there is an issue with the websites security certificate. When I click 'continue to this website' I get a website that shows: page not found.

However this configuration was working until yesterday afternoon.
I am all stuck...

thanks!
0
Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
Britt ThompsonSr. Systems EngineerCommented:
Are all the Exchange services started? Have you restarted IIS by any chance? If so, you may need to reboot the machine to bring all the virtual directories back online correctly - restarting IIS on an Exchange server can cause issues that will require a reboot.
0
 
dtwildAuthor Commented:
Thanks for your help. I made a bit of progress!
Somehow port 443 was not listed in IIS any longer, where I created the entry again. When this was completed I was able to get to the ECP page, and to the OWA page again.

Now however MS Outlook is not connecting, where I am able to get to the OWA page. I tried to send a test mail (inbound) which did not come in as yet, but I am able to send out now.
0
 
Britt ThompsonSr. Systems EngineerCommented:
Make sure the exchange rpc service is enabled and running. That's how outlook connects internally. Otherwise, the ews virtual directory may need to be repaired for Outlook anywhere access.
0
 
dtwildAuthor Commented:
The RPC client seems to be running when I check the services.
In the event viewer however I see the following error about every minute:

EVENT ID: 1031MSExchangeRPC
Microsoft Exchange RPC service is deadlocked. Restarting the service.

Further I renewed the EWS virtual directory, but that was without success unfortunately.
0
 
dtwildAuthor Commented:
Hi mate,

I have fixed it!
It appeared to be this 443 port on IIS. When I added this, I created a new self-signed certificate via the ECP site.

Then Outlook was not connecting, where I configured the an host in the DNS server for autodiscover. This fixed the Outlook issue.

The only issue I am having now is that Outlook disconnects every now and then. I assume this has something to do with the "Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access" service, as I can see this is failing every now and then with the following event:

EVENT ID: 7031, Service Control Manager
The Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Let me check on this, might you have any suggestions that's highly appreciated :-)

thanks!
0
 
Britt ThompsonSr. Systems EngineerCommented:
0
 
dtwildAuthor Commented:
Ultimately I ended up installing Exchange 2013 CU3, which fixed the issue. thanks for your help!
0
 
dtwildAuthor Commented:
I found the solution and stated this in the posts above mentioned. Hopefully this helps someone else who may have the same issue.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 7
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now