Help With Small Business Server 2011 Issues
Posted on 2013-12-10
Very shortly going to be installing SBS 2011 Standard in a friend's company. I have just
contacted the domain email hosting company regarding creation of A/MX records etc.
At the minute they send/receive email using pop3 accounts in Outlook express. As I say
they are going to be having a new server with SBS 2011.
The following is the reply below.
Everything is possible and any changes needed can be made according to any timescale you provide. We currently move / provide people to exchange in the cloud instead of maintaining a local server but the choice is yours.
1. Both .ltd.uk and uk.com are set up to receive emails. presently uk.com is the main one with ltd.uk and alias, just because the website is known as uk.com. The website references firstname.lastname@example.org and the contact forms send there as well.
From your propestive, Id run with what ever the customer sees as their main domain and alias the other.
2. They all have access to webmail if required, Im sure they may use it at time.
3. re: A records ... yep, just let us know and we will set them up
4. SMTP server. Normally the SBS server would be the sending SMTP server? If you want an external SMTP server, we can provide that.
5. Anything else? When you move the mail system to their server, we will provide a backup MX service. this means that if the server has an issue, broadband fails, office has powercut etc. The emails will "queue" in the cloud and it will detect when the server is back and then deliver everything. The service collects up to 1gb of emails which is plenty of space. Without this service the emails would all be rejected. This service will be provided as part of their hosting service, so no charge will be made.
As far as I know most email shows up as being sent via the ltd.uk email address.
According to this then when I run the internet address wizard should I use the
companyname.ltd.uk domin. When I add users, and add their email address, such
as firstname.surname, according to the above information will they receive email sent to
both the ltd.uk or uk.com address, or is there some further configuration needed.
As regards Hosted exchange which was mentioned at the top. How would this effect
SBS and how would you use one instead of the other.
Thanks in advance.