[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 442
  • Last Modified:

Outlook 2010 Move auto complete list between installation

A customer had a crash (SSD drive brok) so we reinstalled Win 7 HP64 and application.

Old installation used POP mail acounts, new installation uses IMAP.

I managed to rescue the old .PST files from the first installation.

The system works fine now except the auto complete list from the old installation probably hides somewhere in the old PST files. I understand they were moved there in Outlook 2010. In earlier Outlook versions they resided in a separate file.

THe customer has never saved contacts but relied on the autocomplete function to save email adresses. This is a consultant and she desperately need to recover the email adresses to all contacts.

THank you in advance for good ideas.

Göran Wester
0
GoranWester
Asked:
GoranWester
1 Solution
 
guswebbCommented:
Use scanpst.exe which can normally be found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 and this should fix your autocomplete problem.
0
 
Nick RhodeIT DirectorCommented:
2010 uses suggested contacts.  Open up the contacts and choose the suggested contacts.  In there is where all the contacts are stored.  As mentioned above the autocomplete list should be fixed if you use scanpst
0
 
Jamie McKillopCommented:
Hello,

You will need to get the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache\Stream_Autocomplete_0_<GUID>.dat from the old PC. Find the same file (different GUID) on the new PC and rename it to .bak. Copy the file from the old PC to the same location on the new PC and rename the file so that the GUID matches the GUID on the new PC.

-JJ
0
 
GoranWesterAuthor Commented:
Thanks everyone!
This looks promising. I have a Christmas party to attend to now but I will try this first thing tomorrow morning and report back.

Göran
0
 
GoranWesterAuthor Commented:
Hello,

Moving of the  file C:\Users\username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache\Stream_Autocomplete_0_<GUID>.dat
Seemed to work fine. The customer was not present when I did the move, but there are now long nice autocomplete lists with valid email addresses so I am convinced that it has worked.

As for the sugestions to use scanpst, I am a bit confused. I can not see how running scanpst on an old .PST file would affect autocomplete lists on a new installation. OK, the old .pst files are temporarily used as "Archives" on the new installation, but will be removed as soon as we are confident that all relevant data exist in the new installation. The reason that the old pst files are not used is that we switched from usin POP to using IMAP accounts.

THanks a million for all help so far.
Göran Wester
0

Featured Post

Windows Server 2016: All you need to know

Learn about Hyper-V features that increase functionality and usability of Microsoft Windows Server 2016. Also, throughout this eBook, you’ll find some basic PowerShell examples that will help you leverage the scripts in your environments!

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now