We have recently migrated from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013.
All mailboxes can access OWA, however iPhone 5 users are unable to retrieve emails.
I can connect to the server during account setup on the iPhone and the phone confirms all credentials. when you open mail and go into the inbox a message appears " Cannot Get Mail, the connection to the server failed"
I have tried deleting the account on exchange and recreating the account.
I have checked exchange 2013 Mobile device policy to confirm that Active Sync is enabled.
I can connect to to my exchange 2013 mailbox using Mail application on my Macbook without and problems.
I have run a test on Microsoft Remote Connectivity https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com
site and have attached the results below
Thank you all for your help in advance.