We have been running windows environment for years now. All servers (IBM) are windows based, switches, routers etc (Cisco and Brocade mix). All clients are Windows 7, 8. We use applications mostly for educational purposes. At each year end we make a new image for clients and upload it to clients. I use sccm 2012, WDS etc.
An extremely wise person comes and sits on top and guides the management to be a part of 'Revolution' and change all the clients to ipads (Macs) and this will save money(how?). This spark word is now igniting in all employees and they innocently think this change is as simple as turning a light switch On and Off.
Would like to have opinion from education institutions experts and IT staff on:
1) what type of challenges they are facing while shifting from the use of simply laptops to ipads?
2) The people I have spoken to suggested putting on windows on ipads (dual boot). If we still have to stick with windows on clients what is the benefit of even thinking about ipads.
3) Are ipads professional? Can they easily be controlled and monitored while on a windows network? given the fact they are used as it is?
4) The paid apps in windows are really nice. What about ipads?
5) Now if one student comes for a simple repair on tablets (windows). We do it in minutes and the student is back on road. How about the repair on ipads? Many times we have broken screens on our laptops we simply call in and the repair is done on premises.
6)Right now we have good filtering system which at least tells us about the usage of internet and blocks un-wanted material. Any ipad on the network means default properties are applied meaning either No internet or totally open internet.
7)Bandwidth hungry. An owner of private company walks in with 10 ipads for demo and the whole wireless network goes down. Does ipads really use this much of bandwidth?
8)Network resource usage now has no trouble as all clients are properly joined to the network. What about ipads? Do we need to install some special programs to control applications over ipads?
I need some discussion over my points to keep our needs and Un-necessary needs to be clear. Also some says 'Ipads' are history in a couple of years than this shift will be of no use to us. Also I do not want to copy what others have gone with.
I need to know what is actually happening with the educational institions who have adapted this change?