troubleshooting Question

Log shipping failed MSSQL 2008 R2

Avatar of Koen Van Wielink
Koen Van WielinkFlag for Netherlands asked on
Microsoft SQL Server 2008Disaster Recovery
7 Comments1 Solution818 ViewsLast Modified:
We have a remote disaster recovery site for our databases which is kept up to date through log shipping. Our former DBA set this up and it worked great, but he has since left and when the passwords for the logins were changed after his departure they forgot to update the passwords for the SQL services on the disaster recovery site. This happened in July and I only found out about this today. We have updated the passwords and restarted the services, but it's been more than 5 months since the last successful log restore. The log backup and restore frequency was set to 15 minutes, with a threshhold of 1440 minutes. Because the latest successful restore has well and truly surpassed this threshhold, the logs are no longer being restored.
We currently do not have a DBA, and we lack the necessary knowledge on how to correct this. Can anyone please tell me how we can get the log shipping started again? Do we have to do a full backup/restore first? We're rather concerned that if we would get things going again the transfer of 5 months accumulated data will incapacitate our network.
Any help will be appreciated.
Marten Rune
SQL Expert/Infrastructure Architect

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

Join our community to see this answer!
Unlock 1 Answer and 7 Comments.
Start Free Trial
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 7 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros