Windows 7 pc joined to a domain allows users to install software
Posted on 2013-12-17
I have a windows 7 pc in a demo environment that is allowing domain users to install software even though they are not part of the local or admin groups of the computer.
Here are some quick Q & A to the problem
1. Is the domain user part of local admin group ? NO
2. Does the user belong to AD group that is in the local Admin group ? NO
3. Is the domain user part of local poweruser group ? NO
4. Does the user belong to AD group that is in the local poweruser group ? NO
5. Is the domain user part of Domain Admin group ? NO
6. Are there any group policy applied to this computer to allow this behavior ? NO
7. Is this computer joined to the domain ? Yes
8. Does this happen with other users on this specific computer ? Yes
9. Does this happen with on other computers joined to same demo domain ? NO
10. Have you rebooted ? Yes
11. Have you run gpupdate and gpudate /force ? Yes
12. Have you tried unjoining and re-joining computer to demo domain ? No I would like to find the technical reason for why this happened.
Demo Environment runs Windows Server 2008 R2
Thanks, sorry about long Q / A but it will save everyone from wasting time with whats already been tried.