Solved

Thread cache: explanation needed

Posted on 2013-12-17
Last Modified: 2013-12-22
Ah hello.

Can someone please provide an explanation of/give references to recommended books I can read:

1) What exactly a thread-cache is, and how it differs from a processor cache
2) How we can have "cache misses"
3) This SO answer, specifically the last paragraph about how "locks typically reduce contention".

I have tried googling for this but cannot find anything.

(Hopefully I have chosen the best zones for this, had a bit of a hard time deciding:))

TIA
Comment
Question by:mrwad99
5 Comments

LVL 86

Accepted Solution

by:
jkr earned 500 total points
Comment Utility
"thread cache" could actually refer to two things, one solution described here http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.aix.genprogc%2Fdoc%2Fgenprogc%2Fmalloc_threadcache.htm for OS-specific implementations:

The Malloc Thread Cache maintains a per-thread pool of unallocated memory for the purpose of reducing contention for the global heap structures.

This cache attempts to preallocate memory pieces for future use according to the pattern of allocations already performed by the thread. If an allocation request can be serviced using one of the unallocated pieces in the Thread Cache, it is removed from the cache and returned to the caller. If an allocation request cannot be serviced using an unallocated piece in the cache, the request is passed on to the global heap structure.

and the other discussed in the paper at http://www.hpcaconf.org/hpca11/papers/32_chandra-predictinginter-thread.pdf ("Predicting Inter-Thread Cache Contention on a Chip Multi-Processor Architecture", consider this one "suggested reading" ;o)

LVL 19

Author Comment

by:mrwad99
Comment Utility
Disappointingly few responses on this one!

Thanks for participating.

LVL 19

Author Comment

Comment Utility
Oh, I almost forgot; do you have any comment on the SO question query I linked to?

LVL 86

Expert Comment

by:jkr
Comment Utility
I wished I could, but as for new EE policy, SO does not exist. But I guess it is safe to say that while there are some truisms in it, it's on point ;o)

LVL 19

Author Comment

Comment Utility
>> new EE policy

Have I missed that?  Could you provide a link with this on at all?

Featured Post

Highfive + Dolby Voice = No More Audio Complaints!

Poor audio quality is one of the top reasons people don’t use video conferencing. Get the crispest, clearest audio powered by Dolby Voice in every meeting. Highfive and Dolby Voice deliver the best video conferencing and audio experience for every meeting and every room.

Join & Write a Comment

The CRUD Functions CRUD, meaning "Create, Read, Update, Delete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Create,_read,_update_and_delete)" is a common term to data base developers.  It describes the essential functions of data base table maintenance.  This art…
The goal of the video will be to teach the user the difference and consequence of passing data by value vs passing data by reference in C++. An example of passing data by value as well as an example of passing data by reference will be be given. Bot…
The viewer will learn how to clear a vector as well as how to detect empty vectors in C++.

772 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question

Need Help in Real-Time?

Connect with top rated Experts

14 Experts available now in Live!

Get 1:1 Help Now