I'm having problems with our HDX client side rendering. It works some days, but then not others. Also if you are working from a client with all of the appropriate components installed on the client for HDX (when it is working), and you connect from a client that doesn't have all of the components installed, you lose HDX client rendering obviously, but when you jump back on the client with all of the components installed, you are stuck with server side rendering and you cannot change it back.
I guess it's probably best to look over the whole HDX solution. Most of the white papers about it are old (eg about IE8,9 or XA5, XA6 or XA65 with RP1). I basically had to piece the solution together from my understanding or reading many different articles. I thought I had it right, but obviously not.
Our XA65 hosts are all deployed from a single image. Each has the following components:
* Server 2008 R2 SP1
* XA65 RP2
* Internet Explorer 10
* HDX Mediastream for Flash - Server v 22.214.171.124 (also has v126.96.36.199)
* HDX WMI Provider v 188.8.131.52 (also has v184.108.40.206)
* All have the following registry entry added: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\HdxMediaStreamForFlash\Server\PseudoServer\IEBrowserMaximumMajorVersion = dword 10
I have added the HDX Adm template to our domain controller and have enabled the setting:
Enable HDX Mediastream redirection on the client device - Enabled > Always (use mediastream flash redirection). This is set on both user & computer settings just to be sure.
I have also enabled the following Citrix policy - Flash Acceleration - Enabled
All of the other Flash related policies should be correct if left unconfigured (as they all state their default setting when left unconfigured).
Information about what to install on the client devices is sketchy. From what I understand, you need to install the Citrix receiver, Adobe Flash & the Citrix Flash plugin.
In saying all that, what I am assuming is that HDX should work for everyone. However this is not the case.
I've only really been able to get it to work correctly on my PC using several test accounts. To be honest I do not know exactly what components or registry changes were required to get it to work initially. It just did one day. Then all of a sudden when I logged in with one of these test accounts on a different client, HDX rendered on the server instead. Then when I logged back in on my PC again, it remained on server side rendering. I don't see anyway to change it back.
I blew away the test profiles, uninstalled the receiver, flash components off my PC and started again so I could document the correct process for the client. I just can't get it to work again anymore. The HDX monitor just says that Flash redirection is inactive.
The registry entry on the client device says that HDX is enabled. Not sure what else to check here.
I've tried contacting Citrix support, but because we purchased through a reseller, we have to ask them to log support calls on our behalf. This is taking forever for them to do.
I am thinking my issue is related more to the client device components or settings rather than the server.