Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS repair help
Posted on 2013-12-18
OS was corrupted by faulty RAM. Was able to restore the Shell32.dll file and run chkdsk /r to get the OS running again. Repaired all of the programs successfully, but having issues with a few areas of the OS that I am aware of.
1) Windows updates - Cannot open that program. However important updates do successfully install at shutdown. I can view the installed updates.
2) Cannot view the Windows Properties (Right click on My Computer). The page will never open any window.
3) SFC /scannow - Will fail at 12% everytime. Tried in Safe Mode (Command Prompt also).
4) The Readiness update tool reports a couple of problems, but I cannot gain access to the registry keys to remove them. I see some utilities online that will perform this duty, but I have never heard of anything related to them. Is there another option?
5) Network Sharing Center - Will not open any window either.
The drives are in RAID-1 and both drives have been checked for errors individually using Western Digital diagnostics (OK!)
I am sure there is more going wrong, but that is what I see thus far into the repair.