Still celebrating National IT Professionals Day with 3 months of free Premium Membership. Use Code ITDAY17


Distribution Group changed to Public Folder

Posted on 2013-12-19
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-12-19
Exchange 2010 -- I deleted a Distribution group yesterday and changed it to a public folder. Unfortunately the contact is still showing incorrectly in the GAL so when you email that PF it wants to go to that distribution group instead. How can I update that manually? I am unsure how long our replication is setup but 24 hours should be long enough
Question by:stlhost
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
LVL 10

Assisted Solution

Sean earned 2000 total points
ID: 39729334
Normally a GAL updates every night. You can run a powershell command to update it:

get-globaladdresslist | update-globaladdresslist

This will force it to update but more than likely you are seeing the OAB so you will need to do the same command for the oab as well:

get-offlineaddressbook | update-offlineaddressbook

I would also check the logs to make sure you don't have any errors with replication.

Author Comment

ID: 39729393
How long will it take after this? I did update the gal list I didn't do the offlineaddressbook however.
LVL 10

Expert Comment

ID: 39729413
the update should be pretty much instant. I would do the update-offlineaddressbook and download the new version of the OAB manually to check the change. Otherwise OWA uses only the GAL and Addresslists so that would be another quick way to check.

Author Comment

ID: 39729451
I tried to redownload the GAL this is what I get reported error (0x80190197) : 'The operation failed.'
LVL 10

Accepted Solution

Sean earned 2000 total points
ID: 39729458
that is an issue with downloading the OAB. This could be a number of things depending on your setup but normally the best place to start is to delete the OAB and create a new one in exchange. If that doesn't work i would check the folder permissions on the cas server where the OAB is stored to make sure authenticated users is in there. If that isn't it then i would check your oab virutal directory URL but this seems to be your problem especially if things show up correctly in OWA.

Featured Post

Efficient way to get backups off site to Azure

This user guide provides instructions on how to deploy and configure both a StoneFly Scale Out NAS Enterprise Cloud Drive virtual machine and Veeam Cloud Connect in the Microsoft Azure Cloud.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A list of top three free exchange EDB viewers that helps the user to extract a mailbox from an unmounted .edb file and get a clear preview of all emails & other items with just a single click on mailboxes.
Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
In this video we show how to create an email address policy in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow…
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager

722 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question