Solved

Cannot activate Microsoft Office 2013 KMS clients back to KMS host

Posted on 2013-12-26
5
2,395 Views
Last Modified: 2014-01-05
I have just set up my Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller as a KMS host.  I got my Windows 7 clients to activate back to the host, but I am having a problem getting Office 2013 to activate on the same clients.  I have gone through the steps to get the Office 2013 license set up on the KMS host and if I run cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv 2E28138A-847F-42BC-9752-61B03FFF33CD on the host I see that it is licensed and accepting requests.  But, I only see my current count as 1.  I have verified that the request count increases by one each time I force an activation attempt from a client, using cscript ospp.vbs /act  I have also verified that the license I installed on the KMS host is correct.  I should note that the clients were activated using MAK first and have been converted to KMS clients using the key KBKQT-2NMXY-JJWGP-M62JB-92CD4 (Office 2013 Standard).  What might I be missing here?
0
Comment
Question by:Dustin23
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
5 Comments
 
LVL 6

Expert Comment

by:Brad Held
ID: 39741166
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn385357.aspx

The client activates at the first launch of Office 2013, provided that there have been at least four previous activation requests to the KMS host. This is because the KMS host requires at least five requests before it begins activating clients.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Dustin23
ID: 39741177
brad-

I am aware of how the KMS activation works, but the current count never increases even though the request count does.  So the clients are contacting the host as they should, but they are not completing activation.  Somewhere there is an issue...
0
 

Author Comment

by:Dustin23
ID: 39746633
Can anyone give me further assistance on this?
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Dustin23 earned 0 total points
ID: 39749094
Ok, I figured out the issue.  All the desktops had been created from a parent image and I hadn't run a rearm on the PI.  Therefore, all the desktops had the same Client Machine ID (CMID).  So, on the parent, I had to run ospprearm.exe from the Office directory (%Program Files%\Microsoft Office\Office15).  This removed the CMID from the parent and forced each child desktop to take a different one.  Once this was done, Office activated successfully.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Dustin23
ID: 39757148
I discovered the answer for myself and wanted to post the details for the knowledge base.
0

Featured Post

DevOps Toolchain Recommendations

Read this Gartner Research Note and discover how your IT organization can automate and optimize DevOps processes using a toolchain architecture.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

The Windows functions GetTickCount and timeGetTime retrieve the number of milliseconds since the system was started. However, the value is stored in a DWORD, which means that it wraps around to zero every 49.7 days. This article shows how to solve t…
This article describes how to import an Outlook PST file to Office 365 using a third party product to avoid Microsoft's Azure command line tool, saving you time.
This Micro Tutorial will give you a introduction in two parts how to utilize Windows Live Movie Maker to its maximum capability. This will be demonstrated using Windows Live Movie Maker on Windows 7 operating system.
Access reports are powerful and flexible. Learn how to create a query and then a grouped report using the wizard. Modify the report design after the wizard is done to make it look better. There will be another video to explain how to put the final p…

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question