Users cant login to OWA after being migrated form Ex2007 to Ex2013

Posted on 2013-12-27
Last Modified: 2014-02-17
I just finished my Ex2007-Ex2013 coexistance and everything is working great except OWA.
Ex2013 CU2 is installed on Win 2012 which has all the required prerequisites.

It only seems to apply to NON Admin users.
So far only 2 users have been migrated from ex2007 and 1 new user created on ex2013.
All 3 cant login to OWA.

It seems to load fine for a moment, I can see the inbox  with this message:
Your Request cant be completed right now. Please try again later.
but then it kicks them out back to login screen.

Then when they try again, it says:
something went wrong
A problem occurred while you were trying to use your mailbox

I did have the same issue for Admin accounts but I manged to resolve that by
Go under the user in AD and on their Security Tab I went to Advanced and checked the box to ‘inherit’ the parent settings

This didnt help with other users as they already had the inherit selected.

Looking at the IIS logs I see these errors.
GET /owa/ &ActID=fc9efcef-5f48-448e-9c09-e1bce707fe01&ex=UE:Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.TooManyObjectsOpenedException 444 Domain\User
There was an error setting up WacConfiguration. Wac will be disabled and we will fall back to stellent. The WacUrlHostName was invalid. Expected a valid Uri. Actual value was ''. Value read from 'OrganizationConfig'

Looking at the event logs I see a warning:

A process serving application pool 'MSExchangeSyncAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service. The process id was '3956'. The data field contains the error number.

I checked the AppPool and it is RUNNING.

I looked up the Toomany objects error and found some registry fix for Ex2010 but nothing on Ex2013. I applied it but it didnt resolve my issue. I set it to 40 but still got this message:
Mapi session /o=Company/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=34c38d3c155f45f4a10f4c5e091aa240-ittest3 with client type OWA exceeded the maximum of 40 objects of type Session.

Rather than just increasing it more, i need to find out why its using all those objects.

I believe this issue started after upgrading to CU2. My test user connected fine to OWA before the update.
Question by:baysysadmin
  • 4

Author Comment

ID: 39742782
Turned out that HTTPS redirect wasnt working.
When manually specifying HTTPS and then logging in, it loads fine.

I tried 3 different methods of getting the HTTP redirect workig with no luck.
And also a default redirect file with this code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<title>Your Page Title</title>
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url="></HEAD>

None of them redirected http to https
LVL 15

Expert Comment

ID: 39743553
Please check this blog to find whether you are in the same situation..

Author Comment

ID: 39746326
Wow that is a lot of steps, none of which I did. Ill have to look at that in more detail.
I really hope I dont have to redo my exchange. I already moved 3 users, can I use the same process to move them back to 2007 database?

Accepted Solution

baysysadmin earned 0 total points
ID: 39746355
I did a check on some of the errors he had.
I dont have any of the httpproxy log errors or IIS ISAPI missing modules.

I also dont have the
Your request can't be completed right now. Please try again later
Error when using HTTPS.
I do have that error when using HTTP which goes away when I switch to HTTPS, hence the reason why i was looking into a redirection in the first place.

I may just have to instruct my users to use HTTPS. I noticed once you browse it ONCE, then later the browser will automatically redirect you to HTTPS no matter what you type.

Unfortunately if the users logs in for the 1st time using HTTP and they get the error
A problem occurred while you were trying to use your mailbox.
Switching to HTTPS doesnt fix it until you clear your browser cache/history or restart your browser.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 39864322
Ended up updated Exchange to CU3 and then setting up http to https redirection.
The issue went away completely.

Featured Post

PRTG Network Monitor: Intuitive Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring is essential to ensure that computer systems and network devices are running. Use PRTG to monitor LANs, servers, websites, applications and devices, bandwidth, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more. PRTG is easy to set up & use.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article lists the top 5 free OST to PST Converter Tools. These tools save a lot of time for users when they want to convert OST to PST after their exchange server is no longer available or some other critical issue with exchange server or impor…
This article aims to explain the working of CircularLogArchiver. This tool was designed to solve the buildup of log file in cases where systems do not support circular logging or where circular logging is not enabled
In this video we show how to create a Shared Mailbox in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Recipients >> Sha…
In this video we show how to create an email address policy in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow…

776 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question