Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of ukitsme
ukitsme

asked on

Exchange 2010 Missing emails after restoring C Drive

hi Experts,

Our Exchange server  crashed, so we had to restore C drive from our backup from 3 weeks ago.
Our Database and logs are sitting on D drive (please note that we didn't restore D drive. Just the C drive was restored).
Once we resorted C drive we lost all emails from Last 3 weeks.
I triple checked location of our Database and log files. They are definitely sitting on D drive.
I ran out of ideas. I checked Check files, log files  location in  D drive and Database location as well.
Can you please help me in resolving this issue?
Avatar of Gregory Miller
Gregory Miller
Flag of United States of America image

If you restore the Exchange Databases, that only goes to the point of the last backup. Then you need to take all of the transaction logs and run a process on them I believe to rebatch the emails that were received since the logs were last backed up and purged. This will bring your mail database back to present.
Sorry, I missed the part where your DB was on D. I am not certain why that would cause your server to lose mail. Have you tried doing a repair on the ExchangeDB? possibly they have integrity issues that will bring back the mail, or at least allow it to be seen.
Avatar of ukitsme
ukitsme

ASKER

yes we tried repairing it.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Simon Butler (Sembee)
Simon Butler (Sembee)
Flag of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Avatar of ukitsme

ASKER

hi Simon,

We have restored Exchange many times. We never had this problem.

We got in touch with Microsoft they were not able to figure out why it happened in the first place but they helped us fix the issue.

Here is how we fixed it (not exactly fixing it, but sort of solution :) )
Create new database using command:
 New-MailboxDatabase -Recovery -Name ManagementRDB -Server <servername> -EdbFilePath "location" -LogFolderPath "location"
dismount live database
Run ESutil /mh for both old and new database  (just for checking status)
Verify log files of old database
eseutil /ml
Copy logs and DB from our backup to new location
Merge backup to recover database
eseutil /r e14 /l "<location>" /d "<location>" /a /i
run an eseutil /mh on the recovered DB to ensure Clean Shutdown
rename edb file to what ever name you want to change it to.
Mount both existing and recovered DB's
In Exch Management Shell:      Get-Mailbox -Database <old database name>| Restore-Mailbox -RecoveryDatabase <new database name>
Avatar of ukitsme

ASKER

Thanks for your help