I have dove headfirst into a Exchange 2003/2010 transition. I have read some guides, dozens of blogs etc.
- Currently using Exchange 2003 SP2 (EX2003.domain.lan)
- 2003 native mode AD (running on Windows Server 2008 R2)
- 120+ users with mix of Outlook (2003 - 2010) and Entourage (2004-2008)
- A couple of RPC over HTTP users
- Lots of OWA users
- Lots of ActiveSync users (mostly Apple devices + a couple of Android devices)
- Internal domain name: domain.lan
- External domain name: domain.com.au
I have installed Exchange Server 2010 SP2 (EX2010.domain.lan) onto a new Windows Server 2008 R2 domain member server. It is installed into the same Exchange Organization.
I want to have the 2 servers exist in co-existence for a month or so until we can migrate everyone across.
The current OWA address for EX2003 is mail.domain.com.au. We have a 3rd party certificate on this server etc. All is working perfectly.
Now that I have put the 2010 server in, I have questions.
Because of the potential issue with our internal AD domain name, I have configured the CAS services OWA, ActiveSync, ECP, OAB with the external domain name, eg "ex2010.domain.com.au". My first question here is, do I need to go the legacy route? ie should I buy a SAN/UCC certificate with the common name "mail.domain.com.au" and add the SAN's of "legacy.domain.com.au" and "autodiscover.domain.com.au";
can I buy a SAN/UCC certificate with the common name "ex2010.domain.com.au" and add the SAN of "autodiscover.domain.com.au".
**DISCLAIMER: I have already done the second option without realising I may need to backtrack and go the first option**
I have continued with the second option to see if I can get everything working anyway.
I have moved my own mailbox across to the new EX2010 server. It all came up OK in Outlook. Outlook correctly identified where my new mailbox was. I can send emails out to the internet and can receive internet emails. I can also send emails to other users within the Exchange organization, and I can receive them.
Outlook Web Access is working correctly without any SSL issues both internally and externally. All the DNS, firewall rules etc are setup correctly.
The MRCA tests come back clean for both ActiveSync and Autodiscover.
I do have an issue though while using Outlook. I am getting the "0x8004010f" error when trying to download the OAB. I have run the Email Auto-Configuration Test from Outlook. There doesn't appear to be any errors. It says the OAB URL for both RPC and HTTP tests is "Public Folder". Out of Office works correctly, as does the Free/Busy Schedule.
Also, from within my Outlook, there are no Public Folders, so I'm sure the 2 problems are related.
Under EMC, I have checked "Org config...Mailbox Database Properties...Client Settings" and have added the "Default Offline Address List".
What I'm failing to understand at the moment is how I should setup the Public Folder replication between EX2003 and EX2010.
And I'll ask the question again from the top, am I setting myself up for failure if I don't go the Legacy route, or this just a convenience so users don't have to learn a new OWA address and setup their phones again for activesync.