• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1189
  • Last Modified:

Text to Speech Using SAPI in Access

Hi,

I had a small spoken welcome message in my access application using SAPI text to speech. It was all working fine until I upgraded to Windows 8.1.

I have included the reference in tool to the "Windows Speech object" but still get the error 429 Activex can't create the object.

What do I need to do to get this working again?
0
ynot8669
Asked:
ynot8669
  • 6
  • 2
1 Solution
 
ynot8669OwnerAuthor Commented:
Forgot to mention I am using Access 2010
0
 
Boyd (HiTechCoach) Trimmell, Microsoft Access MVPCommented:
I don't think it is an Access issue but an issue with  installing SAPI.

From: How to redistribute SAPI 5.1 core components
Applications that are developed based on Speech Application Programming Interface (SAPI) version 5.1 require that you install the SAPI 5.1 core component on the client computer.


Have you insured that SAPI is installed?
0
 
ynot8669OwnerAuthor Commented:
I have not installed any SAPI SDK. Windows 7 and 8 just worked with a very simple VBA script. It has just stopped working after the Win 8.1 upgrade.

I do not really want to install extra software on all of the user PC's.

I have included the reference to C:\windows\system32\Speech\Common\sapi.dll
and physically checked that the dll is present ...it is
0
What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

 
pcelbaCommented:
Microsoft delivers various backward incompatible SAPI versions without any warning...
So the programs working with SAPI 4 can stop working on computers having SAPI 5 etc.

To ensure the functionality you really have to install the SAPI version which is compatible with your program or install the appropriate SAPI version on the target computer.

A workaround is to play some WAW sound instead of TTS synthesis.
0
 
Boyd (HiTechCoach) Trimmell, Microsoft Access MVPCommented:
ynot8669,

To verify it is not a version issue:

Open the folder: C:\windows\system32\Speech\Common\

Right click on the sapi.dll file  and select properties. Click the Details tab. There you will find the File Version. Compare the Windows 8.1 version and your version. If they are not the same version then that is probably the issue.

Have you tyied converting your code to Late Binding?
0
 
ynot8669OwnerAuthor Commented:
My Win 8 PC is using 5.3.15125 and
Win 8.1 is using 5.3.16513

After some debugging I found that the error is related to something Audio. The voice was used behind a Logon Screen and the error was also causing the modal popup to disappear.
This might be something to do with using two screens but again this worked prior to the upgrade.

I found this code to test for SAPI Presence and added the error:
Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim RC, myGrammar, gSAPIPresent
   On Error GoTo SAPINotFound

    Set RC = New SpSharedRecoContext

    Set myGrammar = RC.CreateGrammar
    myGrammar.DictationSetState SGDSActive
    gSAPIPresent = True
    Exit Sub

SAPINotFound:
    If Err.Number = 459 Then
        MsgBox "SAPI not found"
    ElseIf Err.Number = -2147200904 Then  'SPERR_AUDIO_NOT_FOUND    whatever that might be
        Else
        MsgBox "Error encountered : " & Err.Number
    End If

    gSAPIPresent = False
End Sub

My issue is with the SPERR_AUDIO, I have maximized the logon form ...looks silly but with the above code and a screen maximise the speech works fine.

I will move to another 8.1 machine and see if it's my set-up or common accross machines.
0
 
ynot8669OwnerAuthor Commented:
It seems to be an issue on my main set-up or subtle difference between Office 2013 and 2010. The issue setup in Office 2010 and my other PC is Office 2013 which reconfigured itself on first launch and worked unaltered and as expected.
0
 
ynot8669OwnerAuthor Commented:
The problem has been self solved. I removed the On Load event and changed the form auto centering property to NO. It seems that using two screen centered the modal/popup in between both screens ...that is not visible on either.

Am unsure as to why this only occurred after the Win8.1 update, but for now I'll blame the upgrade.
0
 
ynot8669OwnerAuthor Commented:
Self Solved and actual cause only presumed.
0

Featured Post

VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

  • 6
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now