Avatar of Kevin Staley
Kevin StaleyFlag for United States of America asked on

Outlook 2010 Auto-complete stops working after fix and reboot

One of our employees is using a laptop with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 (we use Exchange 2010 SP3). He recently reported that the auto-complete function in Outlook, when you start to type in the name of a recipient and a list appears, stopped working. I followed the steps in a Technet article that had you disable cached mode, close Outlook, then rename the "roamcache" folder, and then open Outlook, enable cached mode, close it and reopen it. This procedure seemed to clear the auto-complete list, which I then populated by creating a draft email addressed to every contact in his addressbook (this caused the list of email addresses to appear as desired and as usual).

However, today the employee let me know that auto-complete is not listing the email addresses when he starts typing in a name. All that has happened, between the fix and test I performed, is the employee turned the laptop off and on again and reopened Outlook. Any ideas on what to check or correct to get this resolved would be appreciated.

Kevin
ExchangeOutlook

Avatar of undefined
Last Comment
Kevin Staley

8/22/2022 - Mon
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
aindelicato

Log in or sign up to see answer
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform
Sign up - Free for 7 days
or
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
See how we're fighting big data
Not exactly the question you had in mind?
Sign up for an EE membership and get your own personalized solution. With an EE membership, you can ask unlimited troubleshooting, research, or opinion questions.
ask a question
SOLUTION
David Paris Vicente

Log in or sign up to see answer
Become an EE member today7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Members can start a 7-Day Free trial then enjoy unlimited access to the platform
Sign up - Free for 7 days
or
Learn why we charge membership fees
We get it - no one likes a content blocker. Take one extra minute and find out why we block content.
See how we're fighting big data
Not exactly the question you had in mind?
Sign up for an EE membership and get your own personalized solution. With an EE membership, you can ask unlimited troubleshooting, research, or opinion questions.
ask a question
ASKER
Kevin Staley

Thanks for the comments thus far. I need to add that we are not using .pst files in our environment, rather, we are connected to the Exchange server directly instead. I have also tried renaming and recreating the .ost file, but that only reduced the size of the .ost and did not resolve this issue. Since Outlook 2010 no longer uses the .NK2 file that is not in play here.

I have not tried emptying the auto-complete list, or creating a new Outlook profile, so I will try those in that order. I did find a post off of the link granwizzard listed that mentioned, "It frequently stops working usually because Outlook loses its connection to its autocompletion cache. This can happen for a number of reasons, most often because Outlook is not exiting completely and thus not writing to the cache." I will also check to see if Outlook is not exiting completely, and if it is not, I will check to see what may be preventing it.

Thanks for the contributions so far!
All of life is about relationships, and EE has made a viirtual community a real community. It lifts everyone's boat
William Peck