Error connecting Vsphere update manager

I've recently install a vcenter 5.1 update 1 with database of vcenter and update manager on a remote sql server 2008 r2.

I've added a domain user account and the local administator to the sso through web client.

I login the vcenter from vsphere client on the vcenter server and the error saying "There was an error connecting to VMware Vsphere update manager, database temporary unavailable or has network problems".  

But when i login the vcenter through a workstation the errror won't appear.

How can I solve this issue?
vsphere-update-manager-error1.jpg
sweehanAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

bluedanCommented:
This might be caused by the account used to run the Update Manager service if the remote SQL for Update Manger is set to use Windows Authentication.  Check if the service is set to run using domain account.

Go to the services console -> VMware vSphere Update Manager Service -> set log on as using the domain account -> Start the service.

Hope this helps

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
ILOVEENTERPRISEDESKTOPCommented:
It is a DB Issue I think Connect to odbc32 and test the Connection and if the DB is remote make sure to use sa Authentication if this doesnt work paste the vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log (located at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\Update Manager or C:\Users\All Users\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs)
compdigit44Commented:
I believe bluedan is 100% right according to the following KB is does sound like you Update Manager account may not be running under the correct service account...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1015223

Good Catch BlueDan!!!
sweehanAuthor Commented:
I change the vsphere update manager service log on account to the domain account and restart the services.

After that, the plugin is enabled.

Thank you for all your help
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
VMware

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.