The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list
Posted on 2014-01-09
Tearing my hair out with this one.
- Windows Server 2012 (not R2)
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- Outlook 2010
We have two sites, each with their own DC and Exchange Server. Only one of them is used for Outlook Anywhere / remote access
While I'm on a PC outside of the network that is not joined to my company domain, I try and create a new outlook profile and set up my mail account in Outlook 2010. I get the error "The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list" when trying to autodiscover the settings. This is affecting all users.
I've looked at most of the obvious stuff:
- Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer and Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer Tool finds no issues
- "Hide name from address list" option is unchecked in ECP
- The Global Address List appears to be fully populated
- In the "Attribute Editor" section of the user account in Active Directory, the "showInAddressBook" attribute looks correct and lists the default global address list
- I deleted the entire %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook folder and deleted all profiles, and cached credentials on the client. I also tried it on several different PCs, none of them worked.
Where things get interesting though, is when I connect to the company VPN. After connecting to the VPN - everything connects and it works!
Then, after the account has been set up, if I then close Outlook, DISCONNECT from the VPN, and then open Outlook again, it continues to work. In both cases the Global Address List is fully populated with all the users.
This USED to work, about 6 months ago when I set up the servers originally I was able to connect fine. Something changed between then and now.
Any idea what's going on?