Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of AriesUpNorth
AriesUpNorthFlag for United States of America

asked on

DHCP Not Acquiring Address after Windows 8 Upgrade

I have a client who completed (without my awareness) an upgrade to Windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron.  Since that time, the computer will not pick up a DHCP address from her ATT U-Verse Modem/Router on either the wired or wireless connections.

Here's a recap.

If I set a static IP on the wired and wireless connections within the router's scope, the connections work fine.

If I use another system with DHCP, it gets an address from the router (both wired and wireless) via DHCP without issues (so that rules out the router as I see it).

I have tried DHCP without IPV6...had to try something!  And same result.

When connections are set to DHCP, all the settings seem correct, but it ends up with the 169.x.x.x. address.

...I must be missing something.

While I didn't do the upgrade, the client states the issue began after that change to Windows 8.  Tried a few searches on the issue to no avail.

I could leave it as is, but she does travel with the laptop and leaving her set up as static will cause the obvious issues for a low-level user.  besides...it's supposed to work! ;)

I have not yet been able to do any Dell Driver Updates...have that planned for later today.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Kurt
SOLUTION
Avatar of Patrick Bogers
Patrick Bogers
Flag of Netherlands image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Avatar of AriesUpNorth

ASKER

Sorry for the delay in responding to all the helpful advice!  My client was unavailable for the last two weeks.  I will be trying these suggestions and updating the results before the end of the month.
Thanks to all who shared ideas!  I decided to spread the points across all responses as they were all similar and valuable...and I tried them all except the Wireshark suggestion.  In the end, it appears that the systems's firewall was somehow altered in the migration to Windows 8.  Once that was rebuilt, normal DHCP functions were restored.   Thanks again for the help!