Had some questions regarding a VMware setup we are looking at doing for a potential client and I had a couple of questions.
1. Can the Dell PowerVault be used to setup NFS Datastores? In particular either the MD3200i or the MD3600i.
2. The environment we are tasked with setting up will have 2 physical servers running vsphere with a maximum of 4 VMs to start off with and would never exceed 10 VMs, would the MD3200i (with a 1gig network speed) be the proper choice, or the MD3600i(with the 10gig network speed)?
3. That brings up my third question, with VMware essentials plus, that will cover both servers, all the VMs, and a third one down the road?
4. I am going to get ESXi installed on an SD card from dell and get the dual module for data redundancy, and I am also getting the VMware essentials plus kit from them, below I will list the hardware for the servers that I have come up with so far. Since they will be identical then there will only be one list of specs. Also since I am planning on implementing a SAN then internal storage on either server should be a problem right?
Server Model PowerEdge R720
3.5" Chassis with up to 8 Hard drives
Intel® Xeon® E5-2667 v2 3.30GHz, 25M Cache, 8.0GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT, 8C, 130W, Max Mem 1866MHz
Fault resilient memory - VMware (there is a question regarding this after the specs)
8 16 gig sticks of RAM
No OS installed to internal HDDs
RAID 6 for H710
4 300GB 10k SAS drives
Broadcom 57800 2x10Gb DA/SFP+ + 2x1Gb BT Network Daughter Card
VMware ESXi v5.5 Embedded Image on Flash Media
vSphere Ess Plus Kit v5.x 6CPU Lics, 1yr Subscription w/Dwngrd Rights
Internal Dual SD Module with 2GB SD Card
Does the above sound overkill? Underpowered?
5. On the fault resilient memory, is that something extra that has to be paid for through VMware for it work? Also does it work similar to RAID 1, where if I want 64 gigs of RAM then I need 8 16 gig sticks and not 4?
6. Can I get some opinions on the best methods of backing up the entire VMware setup to offsite locations and external media?
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.