HDMI output not working on several Dell Laptops
Posted on 2014-01-14
So a client has a few new laptops, purchased together, all the same model: Dell Latitute E5520. The issue is that some of the laptops are able to use dual displays via their HDMI output with a TV, and some aren't. With the one's that don't work, what's basically happening is that I connect the TV via HDMI output but the screen remains blank, as if nothing's connected (completely blank, not just black). The laptop doesn't even seem to find a second display.
This is what I've come up with till now:
- The TV and the HDMI cable are fine as when connecting it to certain laptops (same model) it works fine.
- The laptop models are all exactly identical, as is the OS (Windows 7 x64) and same video driver version (Generic Intel HD driver 188.8.131.528). They even purchased the laptops at once, but some work and some don't.
- The VGA output works on all the laptops, it's just the HDMI that doesn't work.
- I don't think it's faulty hardware as there is the same issue on around 4 or 5 laptops, so it's unlikely that they ALL came out with the SAME problem in the SAME port, especially when certain laptops of the exact same model are working fine.
- I tried installing different drivers, connecting to different TVs, using different cables, all for nothing.
- Nothing comes up in the display settings or when I try to extend desktop using "Windows Key + P"
- They basically have the same applications installed.
I'm dumbfounded as to what the issue might be...I seem to have closed off all or most of the possible avenues.