DFS install and configuration best practices
Posted on 2014-01-14
I have a network with a single domain and 2 sites, domain functional level is Windows 2003.
Networks shares are synchronised between sites over a VPN connection using a third-party software.
Site A has a PDC and file server running SBS 2003 (SERVER1) and member server running 2008 R2 (SERVER3)
Site B has a DC running Windows 2003 Standard (SERVER2)
I am planning the following:
- Setup SERVER3 on site A as a PDC
- Upgrade Domain functional level to Windows 2008
- Transfer all FSMO roles from SERVER1 to SERVER3
- Create and move all existing network shares from SERVER1 to SERVE3 using robocopy.
- Demote and disconnect SERVER1 from the network permanently.
I would like some advise on how to deal with the data migration from current network share to DFS.
The amount of data is approximately 400 GB. I have a mirror of data on both sites.
How can I make sure clients won't be affect by the change of changing the connection from each site server i.e. \\SERVER1\SHARE to \\DFS\SHARE