A Windows 7 sp1 Ultimate 64b PC which has been on line for over a 1 year now cannot map its home directory (R: drive) the network path to the file server is \\FileServer\share$\UserNa
me. The user's home directory is stored on a Windows 3008 R2 virtual server.
Here is what we know so far.
1. Mapping the R: drive using the net use command returns this error “The network connection could not be found. System error 53 has occurred.”
2. It is not a permission issue. A shortcut to the home directory opens just fine.
3. Network connectivity is solid.
4. Over 300 users (Windows 7 & Citrix Users) successfully use the same share to access their home directory.
5. When I logon to the PC as a domain admin I get the same error connecting to my home directory.
6. When using another PC the user’s R: drive successfully maps.
7. PC was rejoined to the domain.
8. The user’s local profile has been rebuilt. Not using a roaming profile.
9. Cannot restore the system because there are system restore points before this started.
10. No windows updates installed.
11. Last application upgraded was November 2013. This problem started about 20 days ago.
12. The R: drive will be displayed in the Computer window, but when it is clicked the error shown below is displayed.
12. Worked around problem by moving creating a share on the user’s home directory. \\FileServer\ UserName$