Excel 2013 "Can't complete this task with Available resources"
Posted on 2014-01-15
Have got the following issue that I'm hoping someone can help with.
- User is using Windows XP laptop with 4GB RAM
- Has Office 2010 installed
- Runs a complicated Excel file that has a connection to an SQL Database and Pivot Tables
- When she refreshes data in it, it takes a long time (several minutes) but it eventually refreshes with no issues.
- We are rolling out a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 (8GB RAM).
- When we attempt the same refresh of data in this file using Excel 2013 it fails with the error "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications. Continue without Undo?".
- We can click "Ok" to this message but the worksheet doesn't refresh properly.
- Have tried this file on three different computers running Windows 8.1 and Excel 2013 and they all fail with the same error (2 machines with 8GB RAM, one with 4GB).
- Have monitored memory during this on the 4GB RAM machine and it still had 1GB of available memory left when it failed.
- Have notice when it fails, that the info bar along the bottom of Excel always says: "Calculating Pivottable Report". So possibly something to do with this?
- On 8GB machine that was failing, I uninstalled Office 2013 and installed 2010. The file then updates fine with no issues.
So I believe this is an Excel 2013 issue. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can start looking? If anything I would imagine that the 2013 version should cope better with more data than the 2010 version? Is there some limitation that needs to be removed for PivotTables maybe?