I am currently running a 32 bit win 2003 domain but am now looking to upgrade to win 2008 but purchasing 64bit machines when I can afford it.
question 1. just as a temporary measure could I link my 32bit win 2003 member servers to win 2008 due to my equipment below ?
currently I have the following:
- 64 bit 2950 16 gb dell poweredge server
- 32 bit dell Pentium 4 2 gb - can run win 2003 & 2008 32bit
- 64 bit hpdc5700 - currently running xp, but can run: win 2003 & 2008 & possibly win 8 & may not win 8.1 but not tested yet
question 2. if question 1 above is yes then can I do the below, just as a temporary measure because if so, I can then afford to buy an 'asa firewall' to complete strategy testing ?
my plan just for testing was to setup the following:
- 64 bit dell poweredge - set as win 2008 full gui 64 bit os - master dc ad/dns/dhcp server
- 32 bit dell Pentium 4 - win 2008 core server 32bit os - fileprintserver/dfs/wds/wsus
- 64 bit hpdc5700 - win 7
note: once I can afford to purchase more machines then the fileprinterserver, wds & wsus will be installed on separate machines, currently like my win 2003 domain.